Saturday 16 June 2018

E3 2018 Highlights

E3 2018 Highlights



What a week it has been in the world of gaming. We've had game play footage, announcements, and enough hype to keep us going through to September. I've also realised how much my bank account will suffer with the number of games that I want to buy. 

I'll admit, I didn't watch a lot of E3, but I have been keeping up with it via social media. It honestly makes me wish I could be there. I watched E3 via streams, so I took part in stream chat and it was such a wonderful experience. 

Without futher adieu, and in no particular order, here are some of my E3 Highlights. 

  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy Gameplay Footage
For the weeks leading up to E3, a lot of speculation went round about what Spyro news would be shared. The majority of fans, myself included, expected to see concept art from Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer/Ripto's Rage and Spyro: Year of the Dragon. I believe we were hoping for some game play footage and we were not disappointed. It looks stunning. I never played the original trilogy, but I watch so much game play of it, predominately through speed runs, so there were a few things I picked up on. I still haven't warmed up to Sparx's design, and he looks even more dopey when in these demo levels. But the colours, I love the way gems reflect off the grass, the burnt colour you get from singing the grass and the reflection of the boxes in Sunny Flight. 

What I hope we'll see in the coming months is more concept art, especially for Spyro: Gateway to Glimmer/Ripto's Rage and Spyro: Year of the Dragon, as well as game play for the other two games. I can't wait for the release date of September 21st. Hey, at least I have a week before lectures start to play through the game. 

  • Soulcalibur VI
I'm not going to lie, I have been excited for this game since Soulcalibur V. I grew up playing Soulcalibur II, and because of the E3 announcement of the season pass bundle, the character reveals and the character game play, I am revisiting the second game. 
The character game play, looks incredible. Some of the characters I liked from previous games look better than ever. I've even heard rumours of one of my favourite characters returning, though until it is announced, I'm only taking that rumour at face value.

Though an official price has not been announced for the game and season pass bundle, this is a game I will most definitely have to buy. I am hoping that the game will follow a similar style to Soulcalibur II, with the Weapons Master mode as a story mode. Whilst it is highly unlikely, I definitely preferred this to the story mode of Soulcalibur IV and Soulcalibur V. 

  • Fallout 76
You would think that because I used Fallout 4 in my coursework, I have actually played Fallout before. Well... I only played an hour and got out of the vault. Bethesda Games announced a massive bundle for Fallout 76 (which I will not be getting), as well as Fallout Shelter now being on the Switch and PlayStation 4. 
Still, I am really excited for Fallout 76. The game play we were shown looked like even I could play it. And trust me, I am not good at Fallout. Whilst I like that we will be able to play online, I'd probably annoy everyone, so I think I'll stick to solo play until I learn the ropes. 

Graphically though, it looks stunning. The transition from the bright and colourful vault, to the seasonal patterns of outside the vault really make me want to play this game. Though the idea of it being four times bigger than Fallout 4 is a bit daunting, there is emphasis on this game should be played multiplayer. With a November 14th release date, this might just end up on my Black Friday list.

  • Spider-Man
I'll admit, I wasn't too hyped about this game until I saw game play footage of it from E3. With a September launch, I will struggle to not play this game. 

From what I can tell, it is a similar format to the older games, but graphically, I love it. I remember when Spider-Man came out on the PlayStation 3 and thinking that it looked stunning. But I was blown out of the water by the attention to detail. I especially love that Spider-Man now runs up the walls, rather than climbs in a very Hunter-esque (Spyro: A Hero's Tail) manner. It's little things like that, that really make me want to play, especially as it shows how fluid the game mechanics are. 

  • Kingdom Hearts 3
This is a game franchise I should have played before. I am saving up for the 1.5 and 2.5 bundle as well as the 2.8 bundle. With a release date of January 29th 2019, I am hoping to have a least played through part of this franchise before then. 
It's Disney, so how can I not enjoy it? The Frozen world looks gorgeous, and I absolutely adore the Tangled world. Comparing the character models to their animation, they are so accurate that in a side  by side, I struggled to tell the difference. 

I will confess, I need to know the history of Kingdom Hearts before I play this game, just so I don't make a complete fool of myself (which I will probably do anyway). I highly recommend Tealgamemaster's videos on the Kingdom Hearts franchise. His are the videos I'll watch to know the game. 

  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey 
Okay, so I've never really show an interest in Assassin's Creed. I know the story, I've seen my brother play hours of it on the PlayStation, and sure Ezio has a decent story line. BUT, Odyssey is set in Ancient Greece! Those that know me, know I am a massive Greek mythology nerd, and have spoken about Ancient Greece in coursework the past few years. 

The graphics look fantastic, and in a new addition to the game, you can now play as a Kassandra, a female who shares the same story line as Alexios, the male character. The characters navigate through the tribes in the Peloponessian War with allegiances to the Athenians and the Spartans, as well as various other historical events within Greece. I don't want to spoil it, but doing the last little bit of research for this blog post, I completely fangirled reading it. All the history that I know about, combined with a game franchise that I am familiar with, is making me so happy. 

It will be interesting to see how I play the game, considering I've never played it. Still, I am excited for it and this is definitely going on my list. 


I'll leave it here, because I could go on for hours. There are other games I am excited for, and games I still need to look into, but you can guarantee I am going to spend a lot of time playing video games over the next twelve months. 

Thank you for reading! I really hope you enjoyed it!

See you next week!

-Emmaberry-


Social Media:
Twitter: xEmmaberryx
Facebook: Emmaberry (xEmmaberryx in URL)
Instagram: xEmmaberryx 
Pinterest: xEmmaberryx
Tumblr: emmaberrysworld
Wattpad: Emma113 and xEmmaberryx

No comments:

Post a Comment