Saturday 26 May 2018

Solo Review

Solo: A Star Wars Story



I'll be the first to admit, I was not hyped to see this film at all. The trailer really didn't market itself well for the film, and I hardly saw any promotion. The not knowing where in the canonical timeline this film fit, made it harder for me to get excited for it. Even seeing Alden Ehrenreich as Young Han Solo was a little off putting. I didn't have any expectations for the film, even saying; 'If it wasn't a Star Wars film, I probably wouldn't be seeing it.'

Well my non-existent expectations were blown out of the water. Whilst this film isn't a masterpiece, it's the same Star Wars format we know and love, with pre-loved characters and new ones to pad out the canon even more. 
It was very Hollywood, in that quite a few of the character's went through the Hero's Journey, and it was a traditional three act narrative - easy to follow, but engaging.
I was very engaged in the film, and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything (though I probably did!). 


At times, the story was a bit twee. I expect the cocky, confident Han from the originals, so some of the back story was a bit...meh. It's hard to explain without giving away spoilers, but the reason for Han being a pilot could have been better. However, there was a lot of the cocky, confident Han we know and love, and it was a good progression to see it develop through the film. 

The casting was brilliant. As the film progressed, I warmed to Alden Ehrenreich as Han, and found he really embodied the character, and even gave Han a bit of charm that I hadn't noticed in the other films.
Donald Glover as Lando was fantastic. He was the one character from the trailer that I was excited to see, especially as he makes the character. He catches the charm, and definitely looks like an accurate, younger version of the character. I think his acting was phenomenal, and I actually really enjoyed his portrayal of Lando's story.

Keeping this review short, I recommend watching Solo, even if it's just to say you've seen all the Star Wars films. I was highly entertained, keep engaged and enjoyed the film overall.

Score: 7 out of 10



I hope you enjoyed this review. 
See you next week. 
-Emmaberry-

Social Media: 
Twitter: xEmmaberryx
Instagram: xEmmaberryx
Facebook: Emmaberry (xEmmaberryx in URL)
Tumblr: emmaberrysworld

No comments:

Post a Comment