Saturday 12 May 2018

My Top 10 Games of All Time

My Top 10 Games


Recently, I've been playing [and watching] a lot of games I used to play when I was younger. Currently, I'm watching a walkthrough of Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks, and watching speedruns of the classic Spyro games, as well as Spyro: A Hero's Tail speedruns. This love of games could explain why I decided to do my coursework on it, but I thought I'd do a top 10, and see if it changes by the end of the year, considering the Spyro Reignited Trilogy and Spider Man game are released in September.Without further adieu, onto my top 10 video games. 

Spyro: A Hero's Tail


I am a bit biased towards this game, as this was my first game. I still remember playing through the demo on a free demo disc out of the PlayStation UK Magazine. I have fond memories of this game, right down to the time I accidentally deleted a save file and refused to play the game for months. It was out of fear I would be in trouble for deleting the file. The Dragon Village theme song tortured me for months. 

This game is also what got me into creative writing. This is the time prior to gaming videos on YouTube, but I was determined to write down all the dialogue. So much so, that to this day I can still quote the second cut scene (since the first cut scene doesn't have any dialogue at all). At the time of performing this game as a play (sorry guys, I was bossy, I know), we had only completed half of the game on any %. But I was still relieved to have four years worth of hard work and learning the dialogue of the game out there for our families to see (thank you for not recording that!). 

I admit the game has its faults, especially playing to 100%. For the most part, it sticks to the bright aesthetic of the older Spyro games, with characters like Hunter, Sparx, Moneybags, The Professor, SGT Byrd and some of the elders: Tomas, Astor, Magnus, Titan, returning. And then there's Blink. That sucker can burn in the depths of... Well you get the idea. Blink is essentially the Agent 9 of A Hero's Tail. As a child I didn't mind Blink. I actually thought Sparx was the hardest playable character, and more often than not, I had to ask Dad to help me with it. 

However, going back and replaying the game makes me realise just how awful Blink controls. I can do a whole post on A Hero's Tail closer to September if you'd like. 

For all it's flaws, this is a game I constantly revisit, either by playing it myself, or watching walkthroughs online. It will always be my favourite game, no matter how old and broken it becomes.


Tux Racer


This might come as a bit of surprise, but this was actually one of my favourite games growing up. Though there is no narrative, and it's essentially linear, samey gameplay, I adored it. 

There have been many stories, some of which I can still remember, that my brother and I would come up with whilst playing this game. I guess that technically means I was creating Tux fanfiction before I even knew what fanfiction was... that's an odd revelation to have when writing a blog post. 

I can't talk about this as much as some of the other games, but if I could play this game again, I most definitely would. 

Lego Harry Potter 1-4


Surprise, surprise, it's a Harry Potter game. Yes, I am trash for this game. Oddly enough, this game and the Order of the Phoenix game I completed within the day on the DS. I was [and still am] completely obsessed with playing the Harry Potter games. 

I mention the DS game because I didn't actually play the PlayStation version until it came out on the PS4. The DS version of the game is a lot different than the PlayStation version, but I wouldn't call it bad. Both are equally enjoyable, and I actually enjoy the PlayStation version more. The DS game, much like other DS [film adaptations] games of their time, it was very linear, very samey and very repetitive. 

Whereas the PlayStation version is a lot more open-world, in terms of I can go to various places whilst following the storyline. There were even times I got confused and frustrated with the game, which means it must be doing a good job. 

I will always enjoy playing Years 1-4 and think I favour it more, as it was the first Harry Potter game I played. 

Lego Harry Potter 5-7


I never actually played this one on the DS. And I did debate putting this one on the list, especially since I have fonder memories of the Order of the Phoenix game. 

However, I really enjoyed playing this on the PlayStation. Going from Years 1-4, straight into 5-7 did take a bit of getting used to control wise, and even longer for me to adjust to the different locations. It wasn't difficult, but it was certainly a change from the previous game. 

I do enjoy this one, but not as much as Years 1-4, which is ironic since my favourite Harry Potter book is Order of the Phoenix, and favourite films are Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince. I think certain parts are maybe a little too annoying, especially down Knockturn Alley once you start Year 7, but I very quickly adjusted to that. 

I will return to it and probably will keep playing it, but in my heart, it won't beat Years 1-4.


Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks


Funnily enough, I never actually completed this game, but every time I revisit it, I get a little bit further. This was my first Zelda game and put me right on track (pun intended) to being part of the fandom. 

I think my determination to complete the game is what keeps me coming back. Whilst I adore the score with this game, parts of it can be challenging. The worst part for me, was getting the Spirit Flute in time with the metronome when playing with the sages, was really difficult for me. Adding onto the fact that the wind machine also requires you to breathe into the microphone probably exhausted me more than I used to care to admit. 

It is a game I will revisit and one day complete. Until I can get Breath of the Wild, this is as good as I can get to a Zelda fix. 


Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy


I actually debated whether to include the trilogy, or Wrath of Cortex in the top 10. I still have yet to complete both games, however, Wrath of Cortex was my childhood. 

I chose the N.Sane Trilogy, not only because it was part of the reason for one of my coursework pieces, but because I've watched hours upon hours of game-play footage on it. Like with the original Spyro games, I was too young to get into Crash on the PS1, so to revisit the franchise I've been part of since the early 2000s, and play these games, it's amazing. 

I will complete the games, and will probably then replay them and curse at the exact same points I already have done (which is a lot), and I hope they release some more Crash games in the future. 

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery


How could I not include Harry Potter:Hogwarts Mystery? It's the only game I currently have on my phone and I'm constantly playing it. 

I won't spoil it, but from what I've played so far (mid-way through second year), it's a really good game. Like with most mobile games, if you pay to get energy, you blast through it quicker. However, I am enjoying playing at my own pace. 

The story, in my eyes isn't the best, especially as the game appeared to be marketed as more of an open world type of game. But I wouldn't say it's awful. You still get to make friends, but you get the "action" that you would have gotten if the game was set 1991-1998. 

I'm excited to keep playing, and once I finish the game, I'm sure I'll have a full blog post on it. 

Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga


I wasn't sure if I was going to include The Complete Saga, because I actually enjoy the games individually. The Complete Saga combines Star Wars: The Video Game and Star Wars: The Original Trilogy into one game, adding a couple of levels here and there. 

Whilst this remaster of the two games has more perks, such as ghost studs and multipliers, they also made some of the levels easier. I do enjoy playing the games, however, I prefer both games individually. I just couldn't decide which game I enjoyed more. 

I will always play the games, but I think I'd play the PS2 versions over the PS3. Also, the fact that the PS3 version doesn't have Yoda in his chair is deeply upsetting, and if it wasn't for the reason of not being able to choose which game, I wouldn't have the Complete Saga on here.


Imagine Figure Skater


This game! I remember thinking I wouldn't really like it. I hated ice skating and wasn't good at roller blading, nor did I have any interest in Figure Skating. But I guess the perk of this game was to imagine what it would be like to be there. 

And boy, was I proven wrong. This is my favourite Imagine game and I adored it. Right from learning how to skate, to competing, more often than not choosing the music from The Nutcracker (Waltz of the Flowers/Waltz of the Sugar Plum fairy). I think loving Barbie in the Nutcracker was why I chose that song. 

Would I revisit again though? Possibly. I think it would have to be a strong urge to play it again (kind of like the one I feel in me as I write this), and have time to curse when I get things wrong. It probably won't be as fun to me now as a child, but I'd still enjoy it.

Lego Rock Band


If someone had told me when I first played this game I'd be listening to this music as an adult, I probably wouldn't have believed you. But here I am, aged 20, listening to the majority of the music that was featured on this game. 

It did get a bit samey, and I don't think I ever completed the game, but I did enjoy it. Every once in a while I revisit it, but with having Spotify, I can just listen to the songs.
It does make me appreciate the different instruments within the songs, and I admire people who can complete songs on the expert mode. I only managed hard on a few of the songs. 

I admit, if I played it now, I'd probably be too busy singing the songs and would lose a lot of the time. Maybe in the future I will play it again, and complete it this time. 

Thank you for reading!

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my top 10 games. As I was writing, I was thinking of other games, but I had to stick to ten. 

See you next week!

-Emmaberry-

Social Media:

Facebook: Emmaberry (xEmmaberryx in the url)
Twitter: xEmmaberryx
Instagram: xEmmaberryx
Pinterest: Emmaberryx
Wattpad: Emma113 and xEmmaberryx

No comments:

Post a Comment