Saturday 14 July 2018

Norse Mythology Review

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman



Rating: 7.5 out of 10

I am a mythology fan, and have been excited to read this for a while. Truth be told, one of my reasoning's for reading this books is because of Supernatural. I can already see someone reading this rolling their eyes, but one of the characters goes undercover as Loki. In Season 13, they make a return, and from a shot I saw, I wanted to know if it followed the mythology, as the Supernatural writers do really well with incorporating mythology, and origins of different characters. 

Admittedly, I read the Last Days of Loki, before I went back and read the book through. But I did manage to read the book in one day. I know for some people that's nothing, and my fourteen year old self would scoff at it, but I fidget a lot. I read a chapter, then did something else for a few minutes, then went back to the book. Despite this, the book held my attention, and I learnt a lot more about Norse Mythology as I read it. 

I definitely think that this is a brilliant interpretation of the Norse myths, although I wish within the glossary, there was a section on phonetic transcription, as I did struggle pronouncing some of the names and places mentioned. 
As I read through, I was actually surprised at how the knowledge I already have on Norse Mythology, fell into place. It just cleared up a lot of my questions on my missing links. 

Do I think this is the definitive guide to Norse Mythology? No. This is just one interpretation of the myths, out of hundreds of different interpretations. Is it my favourite one? Currently, yes. I'm excited to read more interpretations of these Gods and Goddesses, and to reread this book again. I actually wish I'd had this during my first semester or first year, for my Storytelling module, because the way this was presented was in a way that I'd like to present my own retellings of Myths and Legends.

Whether you are reading this book for fun, to learn about the Norse Myths, or you're thinking of using it for an essay, I definitely recommend reading this book. I'm going to read some of the books Neil Gaiman mentioned in his introduction and bibliography, as well as some of Gaiman's other books, so hopefully we'll see another Mythology review in the future. 



Thank you so much for reading this review. I hope you've enjoyed it. 

I will have an announcement concerning this blog over on my Facebook page in the next couple of weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

See you next week! 

-Emmaberry-



Social Media:
Facebook: Emmaberry (xEmmaberryx in URL)
Instagram: xEmmaberryx
Pinterest: xEmmaberryx
Tumblr: emmaberrysworld
Twitter: xEmmaberryx
Wattpad: Emma113 and xEmmaberryx

No comments:

Post a Comment